Terror Attacks in Nice, Vienna Put Europe on Heightened Alert

A man shouting “Allahu Akbar” beheaded and woman and killed two other people at a church in Nice, France on October 29, 2020. The attacker continued to shout “Allahu Akbar,” or “God is great,” even after being detained by police. It was the second beheading attack in France in the month of October. Earlier in the month, French teacher Samuel Paty was beheaded after he showed cartoons of the prophet Mohammad in a civics class. Reported by France24. Read more… Reported by CBS News. Read more… Reported by The Guardian. Read more… Seeking to reassure the French people, President Emmanuel Macron said that France “will not give in to terrorism.” Reported by CNN. Read more… The country is on maximum alert, said French Interior Minister Gérald Darmanin. “We are in a war against an enemy that is both inside and outside,” Darmanin said in an interview with a French radio station. “We need to understand that there have been and there will be other events such as these terrible attacks.” Reported y France24. Read more… Speaking at a memorial service in Nice for the dead, France’s Prime Minister Jean Castex said that “We know the enemy, it has not only been identified but has a name, it’s radical Islamism.” He noted that Nice had already paid a heavy toll, recalling a 2016 truck attack that killed 86 people in the French city. Reported by The Times of Israel. Read more…

A few days later, on October 2, terrorist struck again, this time in Vienna, Austria, where terrorists killed three and injured many other people before one was trapped and gunned down by police. Reported by France24. Read more… Although one suspect was killed, police believe several individuals were involved, as the attacks broke out in six separate locations near a synagogue in the center of the city. Reported by France24. Read more… The death toll later rose to four, two men and two women, not including the gunman. Twenty-four other people were injured. Police raided 18 locations and made 14 arrests in connection with the attacks. France’s interior minister said the suspect, a 24-year old dual citizen of Austria and North Macedonia, sympathized with the Islamic State (also known as ISIS) and in April 2019 had been sentenced to 22-months in prison for attempting to travel to Syria to join the group. He was released in early December 2019. The minister said the suspect was able to fool Austria’s de-radicalization program. Reported by France24. Read more… ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack. Reported by Fox News. Read more… [Police later identified the suspect as Kujtim Fejzulai]. As police investigated, questions began to arise about how a convicted ISIS sympathizer was able to carry out the attack. Reported by France24. Read more… Vienna’s terror chief has been suspended after information emerged regarding security lapses. Among the lapses was information reported to Austrian authorities that Fejzulaj had been in contact with persons who had been on the radar of German intelligence agencies. Reported by France24. Read more… Reported by The Times of Israel. Read more…