Two U.S. Marines Killed in Attack on ISIS in Iraq; U.S. British Service Members Killed During Rocket Attack on Base; U.S. Retaliates

Two U.S. service members were killed in Iraq on March 8, 2020. They were killed while accompanying and advising Iraqi security forces during a mission to eliminate an ISIS stronghold in north-central Iraq. The two service members were Marine Raiders accompanying Iraqi Special Forces. Reported by Fox News. Read more…

Days later, two Americans and a Briton were killed when between 15 and 30 Katyusha rockets hit an Iraqi base housing U.S. troops. Twelve others were reported injured. Although the military could not confirm the source of the attack, one source told reporters at Fox News that ISIS did not have that capability. Iraqi Security Forces later found a rocket rigged truck a few miles from the base. Reported by Fox News. Read more…

More Reported by The Guardian. Read more…

The dead Briton was identified as L/Cpl. Brodie Gillon, a reservist. She served as a frontline medic and had volunteered for deployment to Iraq. Officials believe the attack was carried out by Kataib Hazbollah, an Iranian proxy group. Ben Wallace, the U.K.’s defense secretary, said that those behind the attack will face justice. Reported by The Guardian. Read more…

Gen. Kenneth McKenzie, the head of U.S. forces in the Middle East, told Senators that “The Iranian proxy group Kata’eb Hezbollah is the only group known to have previously conducted an indirect fire attack of this scale against U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq.” Although the U.S. has sent some 10,000 troops to the Middle East, McKenzie says Iran seems undeterred. “What has not changed is their continuing desire to operate through their proxies indirectly against us,” the General said. Reported by Fox News. Read more…

In response to the attack, the U.S. military launched several air strikes targeting multiple bases used by Iranian-backed Shia militias believed to be behind the attack. Reported by Fox News. Read more…

And, a week later, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned Iraq’s prime minister that the U.S. would take action in self-defense if attacked. According to a statement cited by Reuters, “Secretary Pompeo underscored that the groups responsible for these attacks must be held accountable. Secretary Pompeo noted that America will not tolerate attacks and threats to American lives and will take additional action as necessary in self-defense.” His warning came after another barrage of rockets were launched at a base occupied by American personnel. Reported by i24 News. Read more…